Sunday, January 2, 2011

New Year and thangs...

Well. 2001 is here. I had a great night on New Year's Eve with 3 good friends. Cheryl and I had Ericka and Megan over for dinner and games and champagne. We laughed, we talked about lots of things. We shared our resolutions or goals for the New Year.

Mine are:

  • pay off my credit card-again.
  • run a marathon.
  • save up $10,000 toward a house.
  • go on A date. Just one.

So then last night I was at a going away party for Sarah and Daniel, who are moving to California (sniff, sniff). I was talking to Stephen about good old Dave Ramsey, and our friend Geoff overheard us. He asked me what Baby Step I was on. I told him 2, the Debt Snowball. I mentioned that I was excited to pay off the debt so I could start saving for a house. He then proceeded to school me completely on the Dave Ramsey plan. He goes into how if I don't own a house already, I should skip to step 6. It was a whirlwind! I popped off in a joking/bratty manner, "What, do you have the whole plan memorized?!?!" Geoff was like, "Yeah. I do." Oops. Our conversation continued, and Geoff really knows his stuff. It's one thing to read the book. But talking to a person who is doing it, and it's working- that's awesome. It really challenged my thinking. So, a day later, my new resolution is:

  • Pay off my credit card. Again. Then pay off my car. Then start saving for a house. Actually complete the plan.

I was laying in bed last night, thinking about what it would be like to get a paycheck and only have to pay for rent, gas, and groceries. That thought thrills me! Can you imagine NOT owing anyone anything? Wow. I would be able to have over half of my paycheck each month to save, invest, or spend.

As far as dating/men go: I am also attempting Match.com. Gag. It's embarrassing, but I might as well put it out there. It one of those weird things because it's like if I'm doing Match am I not trusting God? Or if I'm not doing Match, am I not being active in my own life, and attempting to meet people- simply waiting for God to drop a lover in my lap while I eat cheese and wear sweatpants? Anyway...if I can't even get one date from that.... I might go to the nunnery I saw on Oprah a few weeks ago. They get married. To Jesus. At least I would get a wedding.

J'Layne

4 comments:

EO said...

Geoff's right! My re-read of TMMO changed my priorities too. I'm with you though, dreaming of a day when paycheck doesn't go to house or car. Seems so weird!

I like the new plan, stick with it!

Lissa said...

Oh geez. Ramsey.
But as a friend, I fully support your goals, even if they involve that old goat.

Chelsi said...

I love to read your posts. Your part about becomeing a nun cracked me up! I have confidance you will get that date. :)

Anonymous said...

2001 has arrived, has it? :-P