Wednesday, March 2, 2011

2011: The Year of Groupon and Traveling

I am officially addicted to Groupon. I have been a fan for awhile, and have purchased and used a few Groupons in the months since having an iPhone and using the app frequently. However, over the last month or so- yikes. It's a little scary. There are just so many things to buy on Groupon that are really useful! Cheap dinners, frozen yogurt, fun outings, movie tickets, half off pricing to stores (Barnes and Noble, RunOn)...the list goes on.

I have even been buying Groupons for other towns I will be visiting before the expiration date. I have a groupon to a cool looking restaurant in Cincinnati (get ready for a carb-o-load, Lissa). I am going to Cincinnati in May to run my first ever marathon. Lissa is going to be a real champ and go with me to give me a piggyback ride back to the car. And she's also gonna run the half. I am super excited. We are going to feast on bacon, I'm sure, since apparrently Cincinnati is pork town USA.

I also bought two groupons to fun places in Miami. One is for an italian style seafood place, and the other is for a sushi bar. Iam going to visit my friend Missy in Miami for Spring Break. We are going to tan, swim, drink, and feast. I can't wait.

Now, the most recent Groupon is by far the best I have gotten to date. It was $25 for $100 toward a virgin america flight. it's good from DFW to San Fransisco. My new friend and roomie, Rachel, told me about it. So we each bought one today, and have already booked our flights to go to San Fransisco in August! All in all, with the $100 toward the flight, my ticket was $111. Add the $25 I paid for the Groupon, and I'm going to California for $135! I am pumped- it's the weekend before inservice starts. Therefore, it's the last hoorah of summer before the doldrums of teaching begin again (Of course, I love my job- but getting back into the routine after weeks of sweet freedom is tough). Shara, I will only be 58 miles from you! So I hope in August, we can meet up for dinner! Yahoo!

One more trip I will be taking whose date is yet-to-be-determined is my yearly trip with Papa. This year we have decided to go to Washington, D.C. I have not been there, and of course, Papa has and is an expert at what to see and what to skip. We will most likely spend an entire week there. I need some suggestions from the "younger crowd" for things to do. I know I won't be able to do it all, but I don't want to miss any of the really good stuff. For me, the Holocaust Museum is a must. Any other suggestions for things to see in DC?

I am excited about my travel plans so far. If I have money left, I will be trying to go somewhere grand in December.

J'Layne

2 comments:

Sarah D said...

I would absolutely love to meet you for dinner and/or hang out! :) Just let me know when and where, and I'll try to make sure I'm free. I am potentially picking up a part time job today, so I'll have work out my schedule.

rachel said...

I thought when we became roommates that you'd be a good, Dave Ramsey-esque influence on me, but I fear that I have brought you down the dangerous path of groupon and travel! I think groupon and travel combined (like that deal yeseterday) are my kryptonite. I can't resist!